Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Time waits for no one



Sheryl Vidrine Cude
July 6, 1962 to July 27, 2009



How often have you ran into a relative or friend you haven't seen in a long time and promise to "stay in touch?"
But sometimes that promise gets shoved to the bottom of your "must-do" list. Months pass, then years. Your daily life continues, you go to work, come home, pay bills, watch TV, whatever.
Then a name might pop up and you remember, "wow, I really should call so-and-so," but you never find the time to call.
That happened last night, July 27. An unfamiliar number popped up on my phone about 9:30 p.m. and I almost didn't answer. Then I thought maybe one of my kids, who are now adults, might be calling from a friends number so I flipped open my phone.
It wasn't from someone I expected to hear from. Actually I hadn't spoke with this person in about three years.
Tina, my niece, was calling to tell me that her sister, Sheryl, had died the night before.
While choking back tears, Tina told me Sheryl, who is just two years older than me, had died of sleep apnea.
I was thinking that I had just seen Sheryl about a year ago or a little longer when my brother, her father, Al Vidrine, had died.
I think I only caught part of the conversation with Tina because in the back of my mind was the guilt of not keeping in touch.
Still shocked, I flipped around online and found my brothers obituary. He died in December 2006. That meant I hadn't seen or spoken to Sheryl or Tina since then.
That fact got me thinking back a little further to when Al became terminally ill and family gathered at the hospital. I had called Al through the years off and on. So when the family dispersed after the funeral we parted with the usual promise of staying in touch.
But we'd all drifted back into our own lives, all of us.
Now I'm planning to attend the funeral of yet another person I had promised I'd stay in touch with.
Mary Meaux

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a sad fact of life we get so busy with the here and how we sometimes forget to take time to step outside of our bubble of norm. I remember hearing a few years ago that some distant cousin died, and thinking I never knew the person I just said "Well that very sad", and that was it. Latter I was told that as a child I had spend quite a bit of time with the person in question and had grown close. I still felt nothing for them, but the same sadness I feel for strangers who pass. It was something I thought to my self made me a little empty inside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My deepest, deepest condolences to you and your family.

    I graduated high school with Sheryl and ran into her a few times in the past 30 years. I was looking forward to seeing her at the next reunion (although I've since discovered I will not be in attendance). Sheryl was a very sweet and kind person and one of the first friends my husband made when he was stationed at Sabine Pass in '87. Her passing at such a young age truly puts it all in to perspective. Live life as if tomorrow is your last and keep those in your life close to your heart.

    You'll all be in our thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you need to know more or facing any troubles in Quickbooks , you can dial our Quickbooks Desktop Support Phone Number 800-986-4607 anytime. Our expert help is always there for you to get rid of any technical snags you are experiencing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoyed every bit of your blog article.Really looking forward to read more. Really Cool. @ Packers And Movers Bangalore

    ReplyDelete

The Daily Grind is moderated by members of The Port Arthur News. While we encourage thoughtful, insightful responses from the public, we do discourage the use of profanity, racial or malicious remarks towards Daily Grind contributors or those who leave comments on the blog. We also reserve the right to delete such comments, or comments containing online solicitors.

But please, don't let this discourage you from a heartfelt reply. Comment to your heart's desire. Let us know what gets your gears grinding!

Also, we'd like you to use your name, so we know who you are! And if you don't want to use your name, use your city so we know where the Grind is reaching!

Grind it!