Monday, July 20, 2009

Rock-n-Roll, mean people and concert etiquette





My friend, Cindy Lee, treated me to a concert at The Woodlands last week - ZZ Top and Aerosmith.
Awesome.
But there was a bit of a problem.
Let me tell the whole story first.
Mean people who seem to think you should sit down, eat popcorn, nachos and pizza while watching a rock concert.
I say "mean people" because that's what they were. Cindy and I were rock 'n rollin' when ZZ, "that little ol' band from Texas," hit the stage. Since I'm a bit timid I stood next to her, tapped my foot and sang along. Cindy, who has been to more concerts that I can count, is a free spirit who grooved, danced and swayed with the music.

Then came the first person who ticked me off. A woman, seated behind us somewhere, asked us nicely to move over. She actually wanted my friend to squat down. Yea right. Cindy has untreated scoliosis. She had decided to rock 'n roll and be in pain later than sit down during a performance of her favorite band ZZ Top.
A little later a man came up behind us, put a hand on each of our shoulders, and asked us to sit down. Sure, he was polite but come on. This was a rock concert and one of the very few I've ever been to.
This made me a bit upset but Cindy said to ignore them. We paid the same price for our LAWN tickets then these people and no where on the ticket did it say that patrons were supposed to sit down during the opening act.
During brief pauses in the music we heard the chanting "sit down, sit down," from behind us.
Then the same man came back and touched me on the shoulder. He said there was a man behind him who wanted us to sit. But it wasn't actually "us" he wanted to have sit down. It was me.
I looked to Cindy, who shook her head no, then I tried to reason with him telling him how much we had paid for tickets, and told him to talk to Cindy.
He said "no. We know she's not going to sit down. She's dancing."
"Well, I don't dance," I replied, as he insisted.
"Didn't you hear the people shouting at you to sit down?" the idiot asked me.
He finally left as I started crying. I was angry and cried. That sucks. If these people had come up to me with a rude attitude I would have been able to hold my own.
As an overweight person I know that I was singled out. If I were dancing like Cindy (and others around us) I still would have been asked to sit.
But if I were a "normal size" person I seriously doubt anyone would have griped.
I waited a few minutes then walked to a nearby place to buy a bottle of water for $4. (Good thing we weren't drinking alcohol. Beer was $9.50 each and mixed drinks $12 on up.)
As I turned around I searched the crowd for the idiot and the yelling people but didn't see them.
Bear with me, there's a little more story left.
I had missed most of ZZ's performance between being told to sit down, move over and being yelled at. My fault I guess, for turning my attention to them.
Then Aerosmith came on. Before they even began, the whole crowd was on their feet screaming.
I was ticked off by then. I turned in anger and yelled some curse words that boil down to "oh no, you told me to sit down and now you're standing up."
There was one more instance where someone told us to move. This was the guy to our right, who, at one point, passed out in his $6 rental lawn seat with a lit cigarette. Yea, this genius told us to move over a bit.
I'm still embarrassed that I got upset enough to cry but these people were mean. I can usually deal with meanness. I do have a temper and am impatient a lot. Plus I have a red belt in TaeKwonDo and I know how to hold my own though I don't fight and cause a ruckus.
So, dear readers, what do you think? Was I wrong to want to STAND and jam at a rock concert even though the crowd stood later?
I don't think so.
Next time I go to a concert I'm going to wear a specially made T-shirt that says
"No, I will NOT sit down,"
in big letters across the back.

Here's my friend Cindy rockin' at the concert. Thanks Cindy for a great concert and standing up for me.
Mary Meaux

15 comments:

  1. First of all I enjoyed reading your story, as I do all your stories. I have read a lot of things printed in that little paper you call the new, and yours is by far the stories that keep my intrest. I think that you should have doen one of two things. Either just wig out and act like a crazy person, tell them you left your prozack at home, or make a huge show of how much you dont care what they want. Either way though its all in hindsight now. Karma will kick them in the butt, and you got a funny story out of it. Thanks for the great writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No Mary you wasn't in the wrong.. You were out there to have a good time and not there to waste it on losers and there words. Next time just ignore them like Cindy and do your thing..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Zin. You should not let rude hypocrites ruin your good time. I know sometimes that words hurt but just know your the better person. <3 U

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rock on sister. Stand and dance or whatever. This ain't Barry Manilow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That image is perfect because I love rock, I can see there are no age to enjoy the rock because look at that old man playing the guitar that's terrific.m10m

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah rock and roll it's awesome since always, it's one of the first genres of music ever, thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Girl I feel you. Tonight I was told to sit a P!NK concert and it ruined my time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing Mary.
    Concerts can be rough sometimes.
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete

The Daily Grind is moderated by members of The Port Arthur News. While we encourage thoughtful, insightful responses from the public, we do discourage the use of profanity, racial or malicious remarks towards Daily Grind contributors or those who leave comments on the blog. We also reserve the right to delete such comments, or comments containing online solicitors.

But please, don't let this discourage you from a heartfelt reply. Comment to your heart's desire. Let us know what gets your gears grinding!

Also, we'd like you to use your name, so we know who you are! And if you don't want to use your name, use your city so we know where the Grind is reaching!

Grind it!