Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Where's Joaquin?

I have to admit, I'm a big fan of Joaquin Phoenix.

And not just because the movie "Walk the line" was great. His stuff has always been great. His brother, River, was also great. Remember "The Explorers"? Awesome flick.

So when I hear Joaquin is quitting acting to pursue a music career, I'm like..sweet. Maybe he'll do some acoustic rock type stuff. You know, put out a little tunes like what he learned doing the Johnny Cash bio.

But no, then I hear he's into hip-hop...and going to pursue the career down that avenue.

Okay, I say. Whatever floats his boat. Who am I to know what one's passion is?

So then I catch Letterman last night. Boy, oh boy. The dude pulled something out of Andy Kauffman's playbook Wednesday night. You know, the 'silence is funny' bit.

But, unlike Kauffman, it...it...just hurt to watch man. If that's what he was going for, he swung away (another Joaquin movie reference...if you get it, I'll buy you a candy bar) and missed...bad.

Here's a clip from the show...



He's either severely loaded or...well, no, I think he's severely loaded.

The cyber rumor is that he pulled Wednesday evening's appearance on Letterman as a performance for a mockumentary that's being made, featuring him. But, from watching the show and the crowd's reaction to his antics, I don't think anyone told Letterman.

He even called out Paul Schaffer! Poor Paul, he was just over there chillin' by the organ and Joaquin called him the "guy with the maniacal laughter," obviously irritated that he was being laughed at.

My man Bob West is always quick to call out high-priced athletes who use their money to act like idiots. Well, I agree. If I had that kind of money, would I use my time in the public light to embarrass myself on national T.V.?

No.

If I was ever on Letterman, I know I'd ask too many questions about the Ed Sullivan Theatre. I'd be stoked...the place where The Beatles played. The Stones. Janis.

What do you think? Was it a stunt, or is Joaquin whacked out of his mind? Grind that...and let me know.

Mike Tobias
The Port Arthur News

4 comments:

  1. I was the Letterman Show. I think he was blitzed out of his mind. I hope he just goes away...

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's a great actor because he has no real self; the result is when he's just being himself, you see nothing, therefore, his appearance on Letterman. In a role, he is extremely malleable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a big, honkin' JOKE! He's filming a "mockumentary" about an actor who quits acting to devote himself to hip-hop. People are taking this way too seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...and that's the thing. The more news that is coming out about this, the more I do believe it was a stunt. Now, whethere Letterman was in on it or not, I don't know. Judging by his reactions and the reactions of the crowd, I say they weren't.

    Which is why I pull the comparison to Kauffman. It's totally something he'd do.

    What I also hear is that Casey Affleck, Joaquin's brother-in-law, is also the one following him around, filming him for this supposed "mockumentary."

    And by the way, I hate that word. It was invented by people who tried to classify Christopher Guest and the movies he made. He hates the word mockumentary, because he feels the movies he makes are films and products of his comic genius.

    And I agree.

    But don't give me this "he has no real self." If this was a stunt, then the stunt is the explanation. He was on Letterman several other times and was quite normal.

    "He has no real self"...geez. Give me a break. There's only one Andy Kauffman.

    Mike Tobias
    Port Arthur News

    ReplyDelete

The Daily Grind is moderated by members of The Port Arthur News. While we encourage thoughtful, insightful responses from the public, we do discourage the use of profanity, racial or malicious remarks towards Daily Grind contributors or those who leave comments on the blog. We also reserve the right to delete such comments, or comments containing online solicitors.

But please, don't let this discourage you from a heartfelt reply. Comment to your heart's desire. Let us know what gets your gears grinding!

Also, we'd like you to use your name, so we know who you are! And if you don't want to use your name, use your city so we know where the Grind is reaching!

Grind it!