Friday, December 26, 2008

To gift card...or not to gift card

That used to be the question of gift giving taboo, but is that still true?

Not too long ago, I've had conversation after conversation with friends...mainly friends, who would say to me, "Mike, gift cards are just TOO impersonal."

Why? I would ask.

Because it's a gift that doesn't take any thought. You go, you buy it. You don't even have to travel that far into the store. They're right there by the cash register.

Ok, I see their point --- a little, but, in my opinion gift cards are very, very practical. Myself, I love a gift card. Because I'm one of those guys, those typical, difficult guys, that just doesn't KNOW what I want for Christmas. Heck, I never know what I want. Mainly because I really would rather just go pick up something on my own.

Call me crazy, but I'm just not too fond of people buying stuff for me.

And the gift card, to me, is so great because I can use it as money towards something that I would really like.

Now, to me the impersonal-ness of the gift card gift would come into play if I was given a gift card to a place I would never really go. I mean, you don't really have to have been around me for years to know that I would love a gift card to places like Barnes & Noble, or Best Buy, or iTunes. Places where I can purchase stuff to stimulate the mind. A book. A movie. A CD.

The gift card would be a way for me to not to have answer that question. "What do you want for Christmas, Mike?"

I always say nothing. And I usually mean it. It's not that I don't know what I want. It's because I don't need anything, because I already have EVERYTHING I want. My wife, my mom, and my dad.

But, I'm not crazy. I'll take a gift card and appreciate every minute of having a little cash towards something that may strike my interest later on.

What about you? Is the gift card a satisfactory gift? Or too impersonal. Grind that, and let me know.

Mike Tobias, Port Arthur News
mtobias@panews.com

6 comments:

  1. mike i agree with you....i gave my dad a visa gift card-because he has everything!!!! I have given my dad clothes, jackets, etc and they end up in the closet for years. I know with a gift card he will buy what he wants later.

    For Christmas my sister bought him a jacket and it didn't fit so now she has to return the jacket and hopefully they can find another size at JCP. She should have known he has a closet full of jackets and didn't need another one. I can see i have to show her the ropes of gift cards :p

    All my sisters think I'm his favorite....now i believe it. I guess thats what i get for being the oldest of 5 sisters :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes the season of giving tends to lean towards the season of greed. I grew up in a large family and was happy to receive socks for Christmas! Now it seems like people go the extra mile to get things way over the top.

    I agree with the gift cards- even if its a $5 gift card from Sonic! We should appreciate the gifts that we are given. Personally, the gift of "option" is always a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with all of you. A gift card is a great idea---it allows you to truly give the person something they really want. Especially a gift card to Sonic---that is great considering there are many of us who make a daily stop for a drink. Gift cards are the way to go!!! Plus, you can get creative with it. This year I gave a gift card to Roadhouse and the Movies---figured it would be a good gift to use for a date!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. See, I'd enjoy something like that. I'm all about some Sonic drinks in the afternoon.

    Even in these harsh economic times, a gasoline gift card would be appreciated by a lot of people. It's not impersonal, it's something practical.

    Mike Tobias, Port Arthur News
    mtobias@panews.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello dear blogger, last week I had to go to a boring conference on the the importance of carts in the world and I have to write a paper on that and I lack of ideas so I'm reading your blog to see if your knowledge can enlighten me.
    23jj

    ReplyDelete

The Daily Grind is moderated by members of The Port Arthur News. While we encourage thoughtful, insightful responses from the public, we do discourage the use of profanity, racial or malicious remarks towards Daily Grind contributors or those who leave comments on the blog. We also reserve the right to delete such comments, or comments containing online solicitors.

But please, don't let this discourage you from a heartfelt reply. Comment to your heart's desire. Let us know what gets your gears grinding!

Also, we'd like you to use your name, so we know who you are! And if you don't want to use your name, use your city so we know where the Grind is reaching!

Grind it!