Friday, December 26, 2008

Parking lot vulture

OK, Mike spoke about his parking woes so here’s mine — the parking lot vulture.
You know, that person who sits in their vehicle with signal light blinking waiting for you to load your groceries and leave so they can take your parking space all the while holding up a long line of cars.
I hate ‘em.
Actually I hate ‘em so much I purposely take my good sweet time searching for my keys, opening the door to my van, tying up each plastic grocery bag then carefully, and very slowly, placing each item inside.
Oops, now I have to take my shopping cart to the cart corral — sorry you’ll have to wait a bit longer. By this time I’m either grinning like an idiot or acting completely lost so I can steal a quick glance at the ticked off driver.
If the driver suddenly swerves away in a mad dash for another spot I get giddy for my job is done.
So which one are you? Are you a vulture, do you take your time like I do and make the vulture wait or are you courteous and leave quickly so the vulture can park? Let me know.
Mary Meaux

7 comments:

  1. As you go about your business, all the time grinning like an idiot, do you not even once think of all the innocent people you are holding up behind the one who so irritates you?

    You, frankly, are just as big a jerk as the vulture you so detest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't be so quick to judge the motivation of parking space vultures. Not all are simply lazy. I have really bad arthritis in my back. I have to minimize the amount of time I spend on my feet so waiting for a space closer to the door is necessary.

    This is my comprimise for refusing a handicapped sticker, which I do qualify for. As long as I can put one foot in front of the other, I won't take up a handicap spot that someone else may need worse than I. I will just wait for you to vacate a parking spot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admit to being both of these people...the vulture, especially when I have a cranky child in the car who wants me to carry his 42lbs into the store...I do however pull to the side while waiting so that others can pass. When the vulture is waiting for me, I do take my time putting my sacks in the trunk and buckling my son in...if you want to wait for my spot, I'm not going to rush to let you have it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not certain who I find most abhorant--Mary Meaux or Birdgirl91. People with these kind of attitudes are why there is road rage and shootings over idiotic things like a video game.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Only time I would play the "parking lot vulture" game is if it's in a small or busy parking lot in which EVERY parking space is occupied, even the far fringe spaces. I would rather walk the distance rather than stalk somebody, if there is parking available anywhere in the lot. However, if the lot is full, and you see someone going to their car, then I would politely ask if they are getting ready to leave. If not, I would wait for the next person, until someone does leave. I understand that some people will just go to their car to either load/unload items or have a cigarette, rather than leave the moment they enter, and I respect their decision. But still, even in crowded, busy lots, people will get pissed if they are approached as they are entering their car. If I absolutely cannot get into the lot, then I would have to find either another lot farther out, or park on the street several blocks from where I would have to go. Again, if there is parking, even if the only spaces open are far-fringe, I would rather park there than be a "parking lot vulture".

    ReplyDelete

The Daily Grind is moderated by members of The Port Arthur News. While we encourage thoughtful, insightful responses from the public, we do discourage the use of profanity, racial or malicious remarks towards Daily Grind contributors or those who leave comments on the blog. We also reserve the right to delete such comments, or comments containing online solicitors.

But please, don't let this discourage you from a heartfelt reply. Comment to your heart's desire. Let us know what gets your gears grinding!

Also, we'd like you to use your name, so we know who you are! And if you don't want to use your name, use your city so we know where the Grind is reaching!

Grind it!